Suburban not-for-profit performing arts theater (placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982) is dedicated to bringing quality entertainment (including notable theatre, music and dance programming) to the western suburbs. The $1 million Paramount -- designed by nationally-known movie theatre architects C.W. and George L. Rapp, opened September 3, 1931 as the first Illinois air-conditioned building outside of Chicago. For more than 40 years, the art deco Venetian setting hosted a variety of entertainment, including "talking paictures," vaudeville, concerts and circus performances.
The non-profit Aurora Civic Center Authority purchased the Paramount in 1967. After a $1.5 million restoration, the Paramount reopened in 1976, offering theatrical, musical, comedy, dance and family programming. A 2001 board change has made the focus of the Paramount to bring world-class tours- Broadway, etc.- to the area.